“Over time, you may develop wrinkles, sagging skin, and other skin imperfections due to ageing.”
Unsatisfied with how your face is showing obvious signs of ageing? Are these skin conditions affecting your self-confidence and quality of life? If so, you may consider a face and neck lift to achieve smoother, radiant, and younger-looking skin.
What is a face and neck lift?
These procedures help you achieve a rejuvenated appearance by tightening your skin. A face and neck lift restore your skin’s glow and beauty by removing loose, excess skin and fat deposits in the area. Whether your wrinkles are due to prolonged sun exposure or genetics, it can make you feel and look young.
For best results, these procedures are performed together with other cosmetic surgeries. During your consultation, Dr Anh will discuss the complete details of the procedure.
Depending on your facial structure and desired results, a face and neck lift can involve:
- Recontouring your jawline
- Removing excess fat from your neck
- Removing sagging skin
- Restoring volume to your cheeks, brow, and lips
- Tightening the muscles and skin in your neck
What are the different types of facelifts?
Your surgeon will perform the best type of facelift for your skin condition. These include:
- Cutaneous Lift: This procedure trims excess skin on your face. It is recommended for patients with sagging skin in their neck and lower face.
- Mid-Facelift: This technique treats the middle part of your face (cheek area). It is best done in patients with fat pads inside their cheeks.
- Mini Face Lift: This technique makes use of smaller incisions to reduce wrinkles in your neck. The procedure is recommended for patients who don’t want to have a full facelift.
- S-Lift: This makes use of an s-shaped incision to tighten the muscles and tissues on your face. It is best performed in patients with sagging skin on the lower third of their face.
- Traditional Facelift: This procedure dissects your skin to allow tightening of the muscles. It is best performed in patients with moderate facial aging.
Am I a good candidate for a facelift?
In general, you are a good candidate for a facelift if:
- You do not have an extreme degree of skin sagging.
- You do not have medical conditions that affect your healing ability.
- You do not smoke.
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations.
- Your facial sagging affects your self-esteem and career.
- Your skin bounces back when pinched.
- Your skin condition gives you an aged, tired-looking appearance.
What are the benefits of a facelift?
This procedure can offer the following benefits:
- Improved appearance of many areas of your face
- Improved contour of the face, neck, and jawline
- Improved quality of life
- Increased self-esteem
- Long-lasting results (up to 10 years)
How is a facelift performed?
The surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia. Once your skin is numb, your surgeon will create incisions at designated areas in your face. This allows your surgeon to reposition facial tissues and remove excess skin. Your surgeon will then secure the position of your facial skin by using sutures. After closing the incisions, your surgeon will place sterile dressings over your wounds.
What should I expect from my consultation?
The initial consultation can be daunting for you. It is only natural to feel nervous about revealing your concerns about your face and neck. Dr Anh Nguyen understands that you may feel this way and will try to make the process comfortable.
Dr Anh will show you before and after photos of real patients. This will give you an idea of what the procedure can offer. These images also provide information about what the surgery can or cannot achieve. At the end of your consultation, Dr Anh will give you a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure.
Dr Anh believes that the decision to undergo cosmetic surgery is very personal. This is the reason why she recommends that you go find and seek the opinions of other surgeons. She respects your decision and wants the best for all her patients. If you want to go over things again, she will schedule a second consultation with you. This ensures that you get the best cosmetic surgery that will suit your aesthetic needs.
Long-term results of a facelift
A study published in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal in October 2010 found a high satisfaction rate among patients who had facelift surgery. Researchers reported that 97.8% of the patients who had the surgery reported an improvement in their facial appearance that was good or had exceeded expectations. After an average follow-up of 12.6 years, 68.5 % reported that the surgery made them look 10 years younger.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Jul;126(1):245-57. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181dbc2f0.