The goal of an abdominoplasty is to create the best tummy and torso possible for each individual patient because everybody is unique.
For many women and men, this is about addressing their concerns. The commonest physical concerns are the overhang of apron or “flap, the bulge or protruding belly, the loss of core strength, the loss of shape and the love handles or extra bulges in the wrong spot. But ultimately, it is about not having the confidence to be able to wear what they want to, and the freedom to live their best life on their own terms.
Our hope for our patients is that we not only give you a flat tummy, with a more contoured abdomen, with nicer shape and functional improvements, but this helps you see a more beautiful image of yourself and gives you the confidence to wear that crop top and bikini, wear jeans and be able to tuck your skirt in, not having to wear Spanx, wear that bandage dress and truly own the body you’re in, feel sexy in front of your partner and live your life to the fullest. Forget about the critics and naysayers who will judge you as they will judge you regardless. Forgive yourself for letting that time pass of living less than you like to or deserve to. Do not feel guilty because there are so many other worthy essentials to put your money towards.
You are your most valuable investment because when you like how you see yourself or not to hate your reflection, you let go of so many insecurities and you can do so much more than you ever imagined possible and you have so much more to give of yourself.
We pride ourselves on not only giving you the best surgical results possible that we are capable to give, but our entire team are genuinely invested in your journey and will be your greatest support. It is our responsibility to set realistic expectations for you. The final outcome of your surgery is the results of a partnership between my team and yourself because you must take responsibility and ownership for your body and how it recovers from surgery.
Preparing yourself mentally and physically going into surgery is so important. A positive mindset and realistic expectations will help you through the occasions after surgery when you can struggle with the pain or swelling, reduced mobility and restricted independence (albeit this is only temporary). Being mentally strong will help you stay disciplined and motivated to look after yourself as you recover, from the perspective of diet, physical activity and general compliance with postop instructions. Stop smoking for 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after is so important for optimal wound healing and recovery from the anaesthetic. Optimizing gut health also plays an important role in your overall health and wellbeing and postoperative recovery. We know that having a Body Mass Index >33 increases the risk of wound breakdown, so you would have to be closer to your ideal weight.
You will become the better parent, the happier partner, the more confident person at your workplace, the more fun person in your social life (or you have and enjoy a social life). You will love to take the kids to the beach. You will love to put on the lingerie and will not mind the lights on. You may surprise yourself and post that selfie on social media in the bikini, something you swore you would never do.
Do not take my word for it. Transform your life today. What are you waiting for?
Causes of changes in the abdomen which leads to abdominoplasty
- Significant weight gain and weight loss
Potential functional benefits of abdominoplasty
- Restoring abdominal wall integrity can improve core strength
- Removing excess tissue from the front of the abdomen may reduce strain on the lower back
- Improving core strength may help a weak pelvic floor, and may help with issues of mild stress incontinence
Types of abdominoplasty
- Mini Abdominoplasty
- Radical Abdominoplasty
- Circumferential Abdominplasty
- Fleur de lys abdominoplasty
- Corset Abdominoplasty
Key facts of abdominoplasty
- Surgery under general anaesthetic and takes approximately 3 to 4 hours on average
- Low incision is made, just above the pubic region (hidden underneath the underwear)
- Flap of skin and fat are raised from the abdominal wall muscles
- The belly button is separated from the skin flap and usually remains connected to the abdominal wall
- The separation of the rectus abdominis muscles is identified and the fascia overlying each rectus muscle is sutured to each other, reapproximating the six pack muscles, restoring the integrity of the abdominal wall, so the contents of you guts would not bulge forward.
- Excess skin and fat are removed
- Liposuction to contour the waistline and the fullness often in the upper abdomen.
- The incision is sutured close.
- You would have one or two drains.
- You would have dressings and binder or surgical garments
- You would return to the ward to recover
- You would be in a bent position for a few days up to a few weeks
- You would have calf pumps, TED stockings, injections to thin your blood to reduce the risk of blood clot from not mobilizing.
- You would have antibiotics through the drip for 48 hours then onto oral antibiotics to prevent infection
- The physiotherapist and nursing staff will help you get out of bed the next morning and you will increase your mobility each day
- You would have a urinary catheter that stays in for 24 hours on average
- Most people stay in hospital for a minimum one night and usually on average of 3 to 4 nights, depending on clinical needs and financial status
- You would need time off work for 4 to 6 weeks
- No exercise for 4 to 6 weeks
- Post-op visits to see the nursing staff occur up to 6 times in the first 6 weeks on average
- Post-op care can include (depending on clinical needs) low-level laser light therapy (Healite or Body Boost Bed LED lights) to assist with swelling, pain, wound healing and scarring, dressing changes, Emsculpt, laser to the scars.
- You can expect to see your surgeon at some of the post-op visits, as required
- Dressings usually remain intact for 6 weeks (with dressing changes throughout that time)
- Showering is best avoided for minimum 1 to 2 weeks until reviewed by your surgeon and nurse.
The ideal candidate
- Realistic Expectations (There is no such thing as perfection)
- Positive mindset, motivated and interested in participating in entire abdominoplasty journey
- Understand and aware that there are risks with every surgery and complications can occur (even if not common)
- Otherwise fit and healthy
- BMI Ideally <32
What it’s not
- It’s not a weight loss solution
- It’s not a small procedure where you can walk in and out same day and be back to work in a few days
- It’s not painless although the pain is manageable with good regular pain relief regime
- It’s not going to make you skinny
- It’s not going to solve your life problems
- It’s not scar-less
What it is
- Body contouring tool
- Best results obtained when surgery is combined with a healthy lifestyle, healthy diet and physical activity.
Before and After Photos
Legally when you are not on medication that affect your mental state and you get the clearance from your insurance company and your surgeon.
Usually 6 weeks
You can start walking from 4 weeks, gentle exercise from 6 weeks, lifting weights ideally 10 weeks
You can when you are not under the influence of any pain medications and antibiotics
Expect 6 weeks maybe longer as everyone heals differently
Expect 6 weeks maybe longer to help with the swelling as everyone heals differently
Scars take 18 months to mature
Pain medications will help to manage the pain. There would be lots of tightness. Changing positions from sitting to standing or in and out of the bed is most uncomfortable. Pain improves so most require simple pain relief from 2-3 weeks.
If there is excess skin or loose skin or an overhang, liposuction will not address that. Liposuction will not address rectus diastasis as well.
It is about the value not cost. It depends on the complexity of the procedure, time needed in surgery, anaesthetics, theatre time, hospital stay time and aftercare. How much is having that freedom and looking your best worth? Because truthfully, that is priceless! Do the right investment is worth it!